‘Awakening the Sage Within’
“CEI’s online, anytime course because compassion begins with you”
- Start Date: 11/4/18
- Registration Opens: 10/16/18
- Tuition: $25
- Duration: 4 weeks
We all have a Sage within, waiting to be awakened
Today, most people approaching elderhood can expect to live another 20 or 30 years. But how do you want to live those years? Sage-ing (also known as Spiritual Eldering or Conscious Aging) offers a new approach to growing older. It is a model for aging more deliberately, more joyfully, and more compassionately.
Our culture often presents a view of aging that marginalizes us as we gain experience and wisdom: It pressures us to disguise the visible signs of aging, to accept age-ist euphemisms in place of respectful terms for elders, and to retreat to the edges of life to make room for younger people and to, sometimes, resort to behaviors that diminish the wisdom and power we have spent a lifetime accumulating.
Sage-ing provides skills, philosophies, perspectives and tools to improve the latter part of our lives - not by trying to pretend that we are not growing older, but by recognizing the value we offer, and responding in practical, positive ways to the changes and challenges in our lives.
Growing Whole, Not Old
During this workshop you will be introduced to Sage-ing concepts including life review, forgiveness, and issues surrounding our mortality. We will explore the impact of our beliefs about aging and the role of spiritual development as we create personalized plans for our elder years, including serving others and leaving a legacy.
Our materials are not specific to any religious denomination, but serve to enhance spiritual maturity for persons who embrace any humanistic practice or faith.
“Sage-ing® is a program of spiritual growth that can empower you to add more years to your life and more life to your years!"
----Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi
How You Age with More Joy, More Choices, and More Compassion
Sage-ing proposes that you can be pro-active about how you age and how you engage with life and the people in it. You can acquire the skills, tools and ability to create your own personal Sage-ing journey. Imagine that you can:
- Consider and choose new ways of and options in aging
- Understand and experience how forgiveness can be liberating and how it’s an essential component in aging well.
- Live a life of grace, joy, and gratitude.
- Recognize the value of and apply a (nonsectarian) spiritual approach to aging.
Who Will Benefit:
- Anyone at the point in their life where they are wondering 'what's next'?" or "Is that all there is?”
- People who are tired of or ‘fed up’ by feeling stuck in patterns of life that aren’t bringing joy and excitement
- People who have recently retired
- New empty- nesters
- 45+ something adults who wish to design their second & third stages of life
- Anyone interested in conscious aging
- Professionals and caregivers who work with Elders
- All people who are interested in exploring a new paradigm of the life cycle as described in the best-selling book: From Age-ing to Sage-ing: A Profound New Vision of Growing Older by Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi.
“We must all pass through a gate of transformation to move from age-ing to sage-ing. This enables us to use our life experience to enrich our elder years, face mortality, repair relationships, develop a regenerative spirit and transmit wisdom to future generations. This process not only seeds the future, but crowns an Elder’s life with worth and nobility.”
----Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi
Participants will learn how to:
- Examine the myth of aging and affirm the potential of our elder years
- Look at the past through ‘life review’ and ‘life repair’ exercises tapping the wisdom of what we know now
- Explore how forgiveness is a gift we give ourselves
- Harvest our wisdom and discover how to transmit it as a legacy to future generations
- Connect with our inner wisdom through growth techniques
- Nourish ourselves physically, emotionally, mentally, socially and spiritually
- Create peace of mind while facing one’s mortality
- Identify ways to serve an mentors and healers in society
- Develop our own vision of self as a ‘Sage’ or as an ‘Elder”
- Gain appreciation of how aging can be an opportunity for personal growth
We are all aging. You can choose how you want to do it!
Does this describe you?
- You fear, hide, and even try to deny your aging. You equate aging with loss and can see few positives to growing older. You fear your best years are over and that it’s all downhill from here.
- You’ve prepared well for the financial realities of retirement, but you’ve given little thought to your emotional and spiritual needs in what can be a long elderhood.
- You feel torn between a vision of an elderhood of service to the community and your desire to finally be free of obligations to others.
- You want to have a sense of purpose after you retire, but are concerned that family time, leisure activities and “puttering around the house” will not be enough. You don’t know how to find that larger purpose.
- After you retire from your current career, you will need to earn income and would like to have a “second” career that is fulfilling, but you don’t know what could bring your fulfillment and if this is even feasible.
- You see some elders who are full of life and passion, and others who seem to be cynical and sad. You wonder how you can prepare to be a happy, peaceful elder, regardless of what challenges life brings you.
- You’ve been so busy fulfilling your responsibilities that you’ve lost touch with your spiritual self. As you grow older you want to connect (or reconnect) with my spiritual source, but don’t know where to begin.
This course includes text, photos, videos, and written exercises and reflections. You can learn at your own pace and within a comfortable time frame, approximately 60 minutes a week for four weeks.
How Does This Course Work?
- The four lessons of “Awakening the Sage Within” are completely online—with easily downloadable exercises and reflections.
- You can access a new lesson each week from anywhere and at any time as long as you have an internet connection.
- You work through each lesson at your own pace during the week, adding comments and questions.
- This is a self-paced course, so if you get behind, you can catch up at any time and review past lessons at your convenience.
- As your guide, I will read your comments and add my own or perhaps ask you questions to provoke further thought.
WEEK #1: Setting the Stage to go from Age-ing to Sage-ing
- Introduction to Class
- Methods Used
- Class Intentions
- Introduction to & Historical context of Sage-ing®
- Revolutionary Approach
- Steps to Becoming Whole - Core Topics
- Aging as an opportunity for personal growth
WEEK #2: New Models of Aging: Who Am I as an Older Person?
- Images of Aging – the need for a paradigm shift
- Box of the Unlived Life
- Rethinking the Bucket List
- What does Spirit mean?
- Finding Wholeness & Balance
- How to become a Sage
WEEK #3: Harvesting our Life’s wisdom: Looking at the Past with what I know “NOW”
- Why do we Harvest?
- Socialized Meditation
- Severe Teachers
- What is Truth? What is Forgiveness?
- Letting go and healing past hurts
- Forgiveness: The precious gift we give to ourselves
WEEK #4: Facing our Mortality: Creating Peace of Mind and Our Legacy
- The Mentor and healer only you can be
- Death as a Teacher
- Five Wishes
- No time for modesty – Owning your strengths and skills
- Sharing your Gifts with the World
- Leaving a Legacy - Develop and Share your Personal Plan
- Building community
- Qualities of a Sage in Service
ABOUT YOUR FACILITATOR
Deborah’s certification as a Sage-ing Leader is a culmination of a 30+ year career of helping others discover, celebrate and utilize their unique gifts.
It was through the experience of losing many loved friends and family members at very young ages that forced Deborah to consider the finite nature of life and how to live it going forward – with the process and practice of Sage-ing.
Her Sage-ing skills are rooted by her MA in organizational psychology from Columbia University and the study and practice of spiritual, physical and intellectual approaches to aging with joy, compassion and meaning. She has created numerous NYC based businesses and nonprofits in Los Angeles and Florida – all focusing on helping people find their power and best selves and putting their wisdom into action.
Through interactive and engaging workshops and small groups, Deborah guides participants to create meaning in their lives today and be energized in the next stage of life.