Through the work of Compassionate Ballarat (CB), the City is in the process of becoming part of a growing global Charter for Compassion movement - the Charter is active in over 50 countries and over 430 cities.
In Ballarat a high-level Steering Group has been developed to oversee this process, working at both a community events level and at a strategic policy level. Several of the members of the CB Steering Group spoke at this forum.
The aims of compassionate Ballarat are to raise awareness of the evidence base of compassion for application across Ballarat by:
- Enabling and resourcing people in Ballarat to see, notice and take compassionate action;
- Engaging the city’s leaders in applying and evaluating the application of compassion science throughout their organisations;
- Contributing to the global charter outcomes by piloting and testing international compassionate city measures;
- Providing a framework and resources for residents wanting to participate in creating Compassionate Ballarat;
- Distributing and giving prominence to that participation to inspire others to be involved;
- Creating a continuous feedback cycle for the City Council to participate and make a significant contribution to the global work of the Charter for Compassion.
Read Compassionate Ballarat's excellent "Designing Compassionate Spaces" report. The team has kindly provided a downloadable PDF copy here.
Ballarat in the news: Ballarat Remembers.