The Gift of Forgiveness
"Love" by Alexandr Milov, at Burning Man
Start Date: July 18, 2022
Duration: 4 weeks
Cost: $30 US
Course is Online with facilitator participation
Facilitator: Deborah Briggs
Optional Zoom: Friday July 29 and Friday August 12. Both will be at 8 a.m. PST.
Use this date/time converter to check for local times.
Registration: Now Closed.
Take this 4 week instructor-led course at your convenience according to your schedule. Each of the 4 week lessons becomes available on Mondays beginning July 18. The course materials will be available for an additional 6 months as a self-directed course. There will be two optional Zoom ‘meet & greets’ to discuss the course material and your journey during the course.
As part of the Sage-ing® or Conscious Aging movement, we can discover, access and utilize our wisdom through giving ourselves THE GIFT OF FORGIVENESS.
During this workshop we will explore the impact of our beliefs about forgiveness, begin the healing process and recognize the powerful ways that the things we saw as negative can be transformed into the foundation for living more fully.
Participants will have the opportunity to address and heal the blocks in their life caused by hurts, betrayals, disappointments, losses. We will learn how to develop greater compassion for ourselves and others so that we can free ourselves from painful burdens we have carried. We will begin to experience the powerful ways that Forgiveness can satisfy our instinct for compassion and spiritual fulfillment.
Forgiveness is just one part of Wise Aging. Instead of denying our pain or pretending that we are not growing older; we can, instead, learn from reflecting on our past, recognize the value we offer, and face the changes in our lives with greater compassion, joy and meaning.
Our materials are not specific to any religious denomination, but serve to enhance spiritual maturity for persons who embrace any humanistic practice or faith.
Sage-ing® is a program of spiritual growth that can empower you to add more years to your life and more life to your years!
-Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi
Who Will Benefit:
- Anyone who is tired of harboring anger, bitterness, regret, resentment and sadness.
- Anyone who wishes to unblock the barriers that keep them from living their best lives.
- Anyone interested in conscious aging.
- Anyone who is tired living as a victim or is stuck in a cycle of ‘poor me’.
- Professionals and caregivers who work with Elders
- All people who are interested in exploring forgiveness as part of a new paradigm of the life cycle as described in the best-selling book: From Age-ing to Sage-ing: A Profound New Vision of Growing Older by Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi.
When you are young and vulnerable, you see the world as being for or against you, and this view is reinforced when people do hurtful things or betray you. When you approach old age and climb the platform of broader understanding, you can reexamine and contemplate your foundational views of the world and recontextualize what happened to you from a more objective, less impulse-driven philosophical position. In this way you do not have to remain imprisoned in your earlier conclusions about life.
-Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi
Participants will learn how to:
- Explore how forgiveness is a gift we give ourselves
- Give others the gift of forgiveness
- Recontextualize life experience
- Heal painful memories
- Connect with inner wisdom through growth techniques
- Create peace of mind by discharging negative and burdensome feelings without harming oneself or others.
- Ask for forgiveness
- Cultivate Self-Love
We all have hurts and disappointments. You can choose if you want to hold on to them or free yourself!
How Does This Course Work?
- The four lessons of “The Gift of Forgiveness” are completely online—with easily downloadable exercises and reflections.
- This course includes text, photos, videos, and written exercises and reflections. You can learn at your own pace and within a comfortable time frame, approximately 60 minutes a week for four weeks.
- You can access a new lesson each week from anywhere and at any time as long as you have an internet connection.
- You work through each lesson at your own pace during the week, adding comments and questions.
- This is a self-paced course, so if you get behind, you can catch up at any time and review past lessons at your convenience. Content remains available for six months
- As your guide, I will read your comments and add my own or perhaps ask you questions to provoke further thought.
- Send questions to my email.
Week #1: What is Truth? What is Forgiveness
- Important! Navigating the CEI-Ruzuku Education Platform
- All About You!
- Introduction to Class
- Class Agreement
- Methods Used
- Class Intentions
- What Forgiveness Is/Isn't
- How to Know If You Are Ready to Forgive
WEEK #2: Recontextualizing The Past
- Introduction to Week's Theme - Part 1
- Introduction to Week's Theme- Part 2
- Recontextualizing Life Experience - seeing old stories with new eyes
- Elastic Nature of Time - how the past and present connect
- How Are You Doing?
WEEK #3: Forgiving Others, Forgiving Ourselves, Asking for Forgiveness
- Introduction to Week's Theme
- Three Aspects of Forgiveness
- The Importance of Self-Love
- Healing Painful Memories
- Severe Teachers
WEEK #4: The Gift of Forgiveness: A Gift to Ourselves
- Introduction to Week's Theme
- Stripping Away the Residue of Past Hurts
- Tools for Cultivating Self-Love
- Continuing the Practice
- End-Of-Course Questionnaire: How Was Your Course Experience
About your Facilitator
Deborah Briggs' certification as a Sage-ing Leader is a culmination of a 30+ year career of helping others discover, celebrate and utilize their unique gifts.
It was through the experience of losing many loved friends and family members at very young ages that forced Deborah to consider the finite nature of life and how to live it going forward – with the process and practice of Sage-ing.
Her Sage-ing skills are rooted by her MA in organizational psychology from Columbia University and the study and practice of spiritual, physical and intellectual approaches to aging with joy, compassion and meaning. She has created numerous NYC based businesses and nonprofits in Los Angeles and Florida – all focusing on helping people find their power and best selves and putting their wisdom into action.
Through interactive and engaging workshops and small groups, Deborah guides participants to create meaning in their lives today and be energized in the next stage of life.
If you are interested in challenging aging stereotypes, harvesting the wisdom of your life and consciously creating the legacy you want to leave to your children, grandchildren and communities you can contact Deborah at: 917.701.7013 or email.