Identifying Issues of Safety
United Nations Sustainability Goals: “The World We Want 2015” Priorities:
United Nations Sustainability Goals:
“The World We Want 2015” Priorities:
How safe is our community? What information do we have about:
- Crime rates
- Domestic Violence
- Child Abuse
- Elder Abuse
- Traffic (deaths and injuries)
- Sanitation Challenges (sewer, septic tanks, garbage disposal)
- Infrastructure Challenges (clean water, gas lines, electricity, roads)
- Insect and Animal-Related Issues
- Potentially Toxic Industry
- Contaminated Areas
- Gang Violence
- Hazardous Waste (in the community or transported through the community)
- Human trafficking and indentured servitude
- Organized crime
- Hate crimes
- Hazardous Substances (transported through community)
- Emergency Preparedness (earthquakes, weather-related disasters, explosions, volcanoes, flooding)
- Medical Statistics related to deaths/injuries on the job, sub-standard living conditions, life expectancy rates, contagious and infectious diseases in our community
Resource: Global Safety Index – www.globalsafetyindex.com
Programs and Services
- How adequate is our community’s disaster planning? Does it include all community members (e.g., the elderly, the institutionalized, the disabled)?
- How effective are our fire, police, and Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT) services in encouraging and promoting a safe environment in our community?
- Does our community have safe houses for those in danger (domestic violence, persecution, abuse)?
- What types of safety nets exist for at-risk populations such as disabled vets, the elderly, minority groups, immigrants, single parents, and others?
Compassion and Safety
- Are first responders trained and supported in maintaining high levels of compassion in times of extreme stress (natural disasters, riots, etc.)?
- Does our community have programs to increase compassion and cultural awareness in our first-responders, public servants, and political leaders?
- What training exists for peace officers (police) regarding compassion?