The Therapy Harp Training Program is the first international healthcare music training course fully advocating that spirituality is a necessary component in the healing of the complete person. Therefore all types of music must be considered in the healing process.
What makes this course a bit different from other courses is what I like to call, “Heart Emotions”. Heart Emotions have nothing to do with music as it is written on the paper. They have everything to do with love; with kindness; with compassion; with all of those attributes that make a kinder, gentler and a more loving world.
A new way of treatment must start with caring and focusing on people as individuals. As it stands now, the person is overlooked. They are simply called a patient. The chart only documents their conditions, the tests, the treatment plan, the diagnosis and the prognosis.
Certified Healthcare Musicians are part of the medical team. We have the wonderful opportunity to offer a unique modality in a compassionate and loving manner that might have a greater impact than drugs, surgery and other mainstream medical interventions.
Our impact may take the form of a smile, a song or just the fact that we have shared a space with this person being there in a way that at the very least helps them to feel special, feel loved and supports them and their doctors in their healing.
What Are Heart Emotions?
Heart Emotions are a wide range of attributes which some may call virtues. They form a high standard set by the program and those who have become certified embrace it.
To name a few:
- Kindness – being friendly, generous and considerate
- Compassion - concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others
- Gratitude - the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation and return kindness
- Empathy - the ability to understand and share the feelings of another
- Understanding - the ability to become aware of and sympathetically comprehend other people’s circumstances
- Patience - the capacity to accept or tolerate trouble or suffering without getting angry or upset
- Consideration - the act of thinking carefully before we speak and before we act
- Acceptance without judgment - the ability to relate with compassion to others who are may be different without questioning their value as persons.
These are some of the traits that are needed to be a great Certified Healthcare Musician. And these are the traits that will help you in your bedside work. These are the traits that will help the world become a kinder, gentler and more loving place in which to live.
Waynesboro, PA, USA