This newsletter is being sent to all Charter for Compassion members in the United States. We would like to introduce you to the One America Coalition, a non-denominational, non-partisan coalition of Americans dedicated to preserving our Constitutional Rights and Freedom while opposing attempts to instill fear, division and hatred in our diverse and pluralistic society.
In view of ongoing attacks on the Muslim community and in appreciation of our neighbors standing up against these attacks, Sound Vision has initiated this One American Coalition. It is funded by Sound Vision Foundation, which also hosts this coalition.
Co-Chairs of the Coalition
Rev. Robert Thompson, Compassionate Atlanta
Rev. Chloe Breyer, Executive Director, Interfaith Center of New York
Marilyn Turkovich, Executive Director, Charter for Compassion International; founded and led by Karen Armstrong
Imam Malik Mujahid, Sound Vision
Members of One America Coalition
About 60 organizations are the members of this coalition: ACLU, Voto Latino, Color of Change, Daily Kos, NAACP NY, Charter for Compassion, and the Interfaith Center of New York are among the more prominent. A complete list can be found here.
A Brief Note About the State of Attacks on the Muslim Community
- Executive Orders: Muslim Ban I, Muslim Ban II were aimed at the travelers and refugees from certain Muslim countries. However, Muslim citizens including prominent people like the son of great Muhammad Ali are facing detentions and other travel related difficulties.
Administrative attacks: Islamophobes sitting in the White House are discretely using executive powers to make American Muslim lives difficult. Here are a few examples:
- PayPal is informing American donors to American Muslim charities that based on the US Treasury they cannot deliver donations to them.
- Visas are being denied to Muslim physicians with jobs in the US who are not from any designated countries.
- Shipments of American Muslim exporters are being held back despite clearances.
- Senate Bill 68, which seeks to ban American Muslim organization using guilt by association, is sailing through committee.
- The President’s promised Muslim Registry has paperwork ready and can be implemented if a major terrorist attack takes place in America.
Existing Legal Framework:
- Invoking the use of secret evidence and indefinite detention against US citizens is still considered “law of the land.”
Impact on the Muslim Community:
- Bullying has substantially increased.
- Hate attacks on the community are on the rise.
- Five mosques have been completely destroyed and a total of 34 have been attacked in the last three months.
Six Things You Can Do
- Sign the One America Registry.
- Support Senate Bill S.54 – “Protect American Families Act”
- Join the 5 Minutes a day Campaign Against Muslim Registry
- Promote One America Registry through your social media
- Organize a Teach In or Webinar about Islamophobia
- Post your forthcoming events here
Promote the Charter for Compassion and Its Work
Do you know that the Charter for Compassion:
Works with international cities on issues of primary concern and helps facilitate action plans to alleviate suffering?
Sponsors a Charter for Compassionate Schools?
Answers hundreds of inquiries each week, many of which are request for assistance?
Created an informative Guide on Islamophobia last year?
Offers between 2-4 webinars each month?
Produces an inspiring Global Read program quarterly?
Please help us continue these projects and ones that aren’t listed. Donate.