PLANTING COMPASSION: Tree by Tree by Tree
When I Am Among the Trees
When I am among the trees, especially the willows and the honey locust, equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness,
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.
I am so distant from the hope of myself, in which I have goodness,
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often.
Around me the trees stir in their leave s and call out, "Stay awhile." The light flows from their branches.
And they call again, "It's simple," they say, " and you too have come into the world to do this,
to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."
~ Mary Oliver ~
Abundant fresh air, healthy soil, the elimination of common extreme weather patterns, healthier water, decreased CO2 levels and the increased release of oxygen are all byproducts of planting billions of trees around the world, especially in devastated lands. Abundance is the earth’s natural condition. Humans have overused and polluted her, but we can help return Earth to her vibrancy by regreening the world, locally and beyond. Imagine a tree (or grove of trees) in every yard, on every school and university campus, on every faith and peace organization’s campuses - and, in every city park - representing the commitment and responsibility of ensuring a healthy planet for future generations. Combining support for already-existing regreening efforts with related efforts - such as protecting existing trees and forests from excessive logging, supporting sustainable paper alternatives (like coconut and hemp), and promoting education about ecosystems and laws designed to protect them -we can make a true difference in the world.
We are U N I Q U E
The Compassion Tree Project (CTP) starts at a local level as a symbolic representation of the commitment and responsibility to regreen the world. It then expands beyond its own location and moves to support already-existing regreening efforts around the world. The Compassion Tree Project joins us all together in a single global effort, connecting us all in our common humanity. It mobilizes us to take action to do something about devastated lands and the climate crisis. We will be planting more than bio-diversity (by ensuring the planting of only indigenous trees/plants) - we will also be planting compassion, peacemaking, and economic freedom; thereby restoring our planet’s ecological balance.
The Green World Campaign ‘seeded’ this idea with Marc Barash’s vision of regreening the world over 14 years ago. The Charter for Compassion is ‘rooting’ this project through your support - our compassionate partners and cities and beyond. Become a part of this life-changing project and help us grow. Just like there are many parts to a tree, we’ve outlined the parts of this project here...
Now it’s Up to You..
Become the Heartwood (another word for trunk, a tree’s main support) of this project by being one of the first communities/organizations to participate in the Compassion Tree Project. Envision your city/school/place of worship/organization as a leader in this regreening effort and be featured on our webpage(s) as one of our pilot communities/partners. Then...
Plant it Forward
Donate to the Compassion Tree Project to ensure that we have the funding to sow seeds and plant seedlings in partnership with already existing regreening efforts around the world (e.g. Kenya, Middle East, Australia). Trees may be planted for special occasions, in memory of, in honor of, etc. Certificates will be available either in pdf form (print them yourself) or printed and mailed to you (for an additional cost) and can be ordered through the Charter Marketplace. Then...
Reach out to other organizations and get them to participate in the CTP. These reach-outs will produce the Leaves/Flowers/Fruits of the Compassion Tree Project and save us all from the 6th Great Extinction.
- Commit to your responsibility for regreening the world;
- Get others in your community enthused about the project;
- Gain funding for the planting of a tree (or grove of trees) that is indigenous to your location;
- Learn the song “Tree by Tree by Tree” (optional);
- Purchase or order your Compassion Tree Plaque (optional);
- Plan/develop a ceremony (simple or elaborate) - think children’s choir combined with adult choir;
- Choose a date for your dedication ceremony;
- Do it;
- Get others to do it;
...we will re-green the world in one generation; then...
WE WILL HAVE...
- A bio-diverse planet that supports all of life - in all countries - for all people, animals, insects and other sentient beings. All lands protected from deforestation. All deforested lands, thriving once again - teeming with wildlife - new life forms emerging. Species extinction is no longer a concern.
- Economic freedom, everyone flourishing in their own regions without worry of having to be climate refugees.
- Compassion Tree Groves in every major city, on every school and university campus, on the properties of every church, mosque and other places of worship, on the property of every peace organization, in backyards across the globe.
- People making earth conscious purchases - living in harmony with the Earth instead of harming her.
- Through the efforts of the late Wangari Maathai, over 52 million trees were planted - tree by tree by tree. Listen to her here and see that one person CAN make a difference.