Western Connecticut State University serves as an accessible, responsive and creative intellectual resource for the people and institutions of Connecticut. We strive to meet the educational needs of a diversified student body through instruction, scholarship and public service. Western aspires to be a public university of choice for programs of excellence in the liberal arts and the professions by providing full-time and part-time students with the necessary background to be successful in their chosen careers and to be productive members of society. It accomplishes this by emphasizing:
Our mission as a public comprehensive University is given life through the principles and values that guide us.
Fulfilling the Mission
- Empowering students to attain the highest standards of academic achievement, public and professional services, personal development, and ethical conduct is our fundamental responsibility.
- Facilitating learning is our primary function, and it requires that our faculty be active scholars who have a lasting interest in enhancing instruction and that our curriculum be dynamic and include advanced instructional technologies.
- Preparing students for enlightened and productive participation in a global society is our obligation and is best fulfilled by developing the best possible academic programs and learning experiences.
- Promoting a rich and diverse cultural environment that allows freedom of expression within a spirit of civility and mutual respect is our abiding commitment.
- Strengthening our partnership with the people and institutions of Connecticut is a benefit to both the University and the state and endows our teaching and scholarship with a special vitality and dedication.
- Quality in all that we do, and a commitment to continuous improvement.
- Integrity in the process of teaching and learning.
- Respect for the dignity and rights of each member of our University community.
The Center's mission is to expand opportunities and support teaching, research and intellectual discourse, exploring the values of compassion, creativity and innovation for undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and staff across all academic disciplines working whenever possible with people of all communities.
- Create awareness within the university as well as the regional and global communities about the importance of compassion, creativity and innovation in daily and professional life.
- Maintain a forum where students, faculty, staff and people from all traditions such as, but not restricted to, artistic, philosophical, cultural, political and business communities can come together to investigate the conjunction of compassion, creativity and innovation through dialogue, research and activities.
- Publish and disseminate creative products of the Center (such as conference proceedings, research, music, etc.) through appropriate format and media (such as online, print, concerts, etc.).
- Seek to enrich the activities, research, and curricula in all disciplines of the university by supporting students, faculty, and staff who wish to inquire into issues of compassion, creativity and innovation.
- Sponsor activities, events, conferences and forums related to issues of compassion, creativity and innovation.
- Engage with other centers and organizations on other projects consistent with the Center's mission.