Does our community have:
- Adequate (meets standards), affordable housing for all members of the community?
- A plan for population growth in terms of numbers of housing units, zoning, and services (i.e., water, electricity) to neighborhoods?
- Adequate services (water, sewer, sanitation, electricity) to support all members of the community?
United Nations Sustainable Development Goals:
- Empower inclusive, productive, and resilient cities.
- Transform governance and technologies for sustainable development.
- Achieve gender equality, social inclusion, and human rights for all.
- Are there policies in place (and are they enforced) to ensure equitable lending to people applying to obtain home mortgages?
- Are there policies in place (and are they enforced) to ensure that people seeking to rent are not denied housing due to discrimination?
Shelter and Housing for Marginalized Populations
- What policies and programs serve to provide temporary shelter and long-term housing for the homeless population?
- What community groups exist to help alleviate suffering around issues of shelter?
- How does our community ensure against “environmental racism” (low-income or minority communities in proximity to environmentally hazardous or degraded environments, such as toxic waste, pollution and urban decay)?
- Is adequate shelter available in our community for marginalized groups?
Are evaluations and compliance reviews conducted regularly? Are there peer-to-peer resources available?
- Released prison inmates
- Sex offenders
- Mentally ill
- Physically, developmentally, or emotionally disabled
- Unemployed or underemployed
- Victims of domestic violence
- Migrant workers
- People recovering from addictions or illnesses
- Orphans and other “street kids”
- Elderly poor